Laser Periodontal Therapy / LANAP in Louisville, KY & New Albany, IN
Laser periodontal therapy, or Laser-assisted new attachment procedure (LANAP), is a surgical therapy for the treatment of periodontitis, intended to work through regeneration rather than resection. It has been used in dental practices for procedures for three decades. Laser periodontal therapy potentially offers a more comfortable treatment option for procedures involving hard or soft tissue compared to traditional alternatives.
LASER stands for “light amplification by the stimulated emission of radiation.” The instrument generates energy in an extremely narrow and focused beam. This beam produces a reaction when it hits tissue, allowing it to either reshape or remove the tissue.
As gum disease worsens, your gums separate from your teeth, and pockets form where bacteria flourish. Without any intervention, you will experience considerable damage to gum tissue, bone degeneration, and tooth loss. PerioImplant Associates will use a laser to remove diseased matter without damaging the healthy tissue. Following laser periodontal therapy, gum tissue regenerates and reattaches to the tooth to restore a strong, healthy, and comfortable smile.
Lasers are making dental treatments more efficient, comfortable, and cost effective. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved laser periodontal therapy as a treatment option.
LANAP Treatment Costs
The cost of your treatment for laser periodontal therapy / LANAP will vary depending on your individual needs and your treatment plan. We will discuss with you the cost of your laser periodontal therapy / LANAP treatment and the available payment options before we begin, so that you can make the best choice for your situation. Please let us know if you have any questions about your insurance coverage.
The Benefits of Laser Periodontal Therapy
LANAP is more comfortable and less invasive than traditional surgery. You will heal faster, and you can resume normal activities immediately after treatment. Because LANAP is performed with a laser, bleeding is minimal, so there are no stitches. LANAP is considered a conservative treatment that allows PerioImplant Associates to preserve more of your gum tissue and improve the overall health of your mouth. Here are a few more benefits associated with laser periodontal therapy:
- Fewer post-treatment infections
- You receive treatment faster than traditional surgery
- You will find the treatment more comfortable than traditional surgery
- There is reduced bleeding
- LANAP reduces gum loss
- You will encounter less pain
- There is reduced sensitivity
- Swelling is reduced
- Promotes regeneration of tissues supporting the gums
- Shortened downtime post-treatment
Our team is committed to understanding your dental goals from your perspective. We will collaborate closely with you to develop a personal treatment plan for creating or restoring your ideal smile.
Contact Our Practice Today
Our goal is to get you back to smiling and chewing with confidence. With our qualified staff and compassionate team, we will listen to your questions and desires to find the best solution for your dental health.
How Does Laser Periodontal Therapy Work?
All lasers perform by delivering energy in the form of light. When used in laser periodontal therapy, the laser acts as a cutting instrument or a vaporizer of the damaged soft tissue that it encounters.
Laser periodontal therapy is an extremely efficient way to re-shape or re-contour gum tissue. Excess gum tissue or an uneven gum line can affect your self-confidence with the appearance of your smile. Teeth that appear uneven or misshapen can affect the perception of your smile. Laser energy ablates the tissue quickly and painlessly and allows PerioImplant Associates to pinpoint tissue precisely without causing any excessive bleeding. The laser also cauterizes as it cuts, both reducing bleeding and sterilizing the area as it works. Common periodontal soft tissue procedures include:
- Correcting a gummy smile - Lasers are now often used to reshape the gum tissue associated with a gummy smile, where the excess gum tissue covers more of the tooth than is normal.
- Crown lengthening - This procedure will reshape the gum tissue and the bone for a healthier tooth structure, which can also help with placing restorations on the teeth.
- Treating tongue frenulum - If you have a thick or tight frenulum, the fold of skin under the front part of the tongue that anchors to the mouth floor, you could benefit from a laser frenectomy. This procedure will help young children whose tight frenulum causes them to be tongue-tied, or have developed a speech impediment, or an infant with difficulty breast-feeding.
- Removing soft tissue folds – Laser treatment can remove soft tissue folds from ill-fitting dentures without pain or sutures.
- Treating cold sores – Laser periodontal therapy can minimize healing time and reduce discomfort from cold sores.
- Nerve regeneration - LANAP can help regenerate damaged nerves and blood vessels.
- Removing benign tumors - Lasers can remove tumors from the gums, palate, and sides of the lips and cheeks through a pain and suture-free method.
- TMJ (temporomandibular joint) treatment - Lasers can help reduce pain and inflammation in the TMJ joint.
Our Specialists Tell Our Story Best
Ramsey Burton, DMD
Dr. Ramsey Burton is originally from Nashville, TN. He received both his undergraduate and doctorate degrees from the University of Louisville. Following dental school, he completed periodontal specialty training at the University of Kentucky.
Courtney Shearer, DMD, MS
Dr. Courtney Shearer was born and raised in Louisville, KY. She attended Washington and Lee University for her undergraduate degree. She then attended the University of Louisville School of Dentistry where she received her Doctorate in Dentistry.
Jodie Lusby, DMD, MSD
Dr. Jodie Lusby is a Board Certified Periodontist and grew up in Florence, KY. He attended the University of Kentucky where he received his biology degree and graduated Magna Cum Laude. He then attended the Louisville School of Dentistry.
A Warm and Caring Welcome to Our Practice
Our forward-thinking team at PerioImplant Associates has one primary focus, and that is to serve you to the absolute best of our ability, every day. It is natural to feel apprehensive about visiting a general dentist, or even a dental specialist such as a periodontist. Understanding that, we will always take the time to explain the benefits of the procedure that is being proposed for your dental health. Both offices, Louisville, KY, and New Albany, IN, are constantly trained to convey and address any issues. We will share the benefits of your periodontal treatment, introduce our team, and communicate our general office policies. Call us today about an evaluation for a laser periodontal therapy / LANAP procedure for you. We will greet you with warm smiles and send you home with a healthy smile that you will be eager to share.